Skip to main content

Writing Efficient Programs

 


Writing Better Programs: More Than Just “Making It Work”



When I first started coding, my mindset was simple: if the program runs, I’m done. But after getting into data structures and algorithm design, I’ve realized that how a program works matters just as much as if it works.


That’s where algorithmic design and data structures come in—they help you build programs that are not just correct, but efficient and well-structured.


🔹 Thinking Like a Programmer (Before You Code)

One of the biggest changes I’ve made is slowing down before I start typing code. Instead of jumping straight into Java, I try to break the problem down into steps first. This is algorithmic design.


For example, I’ll:


  • Figure out what the program needs to do
  • Write out the steps (kind of like pseudocode)
  • Then translate that into actual code


Doing this helps me avoid confusion and keeps my program organized from the start.


🔹 Are Some Algorithms and Data Structures Better?


Yes—but not in a one-size-fits-all way.


Some algorithms and data structures are more efficient than others depending on the situation. The main reason comes down to performance, especially how fast something runs as the input gets larger.


For example:

  • A simple search that checks every item works fine for small data
  • But for large data, a more efficient search can reduce the number of steps dramatically

The same idea applies to data structures:


  • An array is great for quick access using an index
  • A linked list is better if you’re constantly inserting or deleting data
  • A queue works best when order matters (first-in, first-out)


So one design is chosen over another based on:


  • What the program needs to do most (search, insert, delete, process in order)
  • How much data is being handled
  • How important speed and memory efficiency are


In other words, the “better” option is the one that fits the problem best and uses resources more efficiently.


🔹 Why Choosing the Right Design Matters

If you pick the wrong algorithm or data structure, your program might still work—but it could be slower, harder to manage, or waste memory.

For example, using a structure that makes inserting data difficult will slow your program down if you’re constantly adding new data. On the other hand, choosing a structure designed for that task makes everything smoother.

This is why developers don’t just focus on getting a result—they focus on getting it efficiently.


Comments

Popular

Duolingo Critique

The app that I chose to review is Duolingo. There is a web version also. It is an interactive learning app that has many features. It can be accessed from multiple mobile devices like a tablet, laptop or phone. It can also be accessed with a pc. Functionality is seamless on all platforms. There is a database of learners with their information being stored for individual reference and each learner can connect with others through their profile. You can add friends and interact with others users. There are leaderboards that track progress daily on the app. This format is exciting because it makes the experience feel more like a game than educational lessons. There is a competitive factor and challenges that keep things interesting. Conversational exercises can be practiced in a more natural manner through an AI generated FaceTime call that reacts to your responses and stores your conversations. Stories are another way of practicing a language on the app. A pre generated radio program is a...

The Principles of Java

  Before writing programs, I had to install Java, which is simple with the right resources. First, I downloaded the Java Development Kit (JDK) from Oracle or OpenJDK . Then I ran the installer, which sets up everything you need, including the compiler and runtime. Most modern installers handle the system path automatically. Finally, I tested it by creating a simple HelloWorld.java program, compiling it with javac HelloWorld.java, and running it with java HelloWorld. For detailed guidance, I found Oracle’s Java tutorials and JavaTpoint very helpful. Learning Java introduced me to object-oriented programming (OOP), a way of designing software around “objects” that model real-world concepts. OOP makes programs easier to maintain, reuse, and expand—skills that are useful whether you’re building small apps or large systems. I explored the four main principles of OOP : Encapsulation : Keeping data and the methods that act on it together in a class, controlling access to internal ...